The Detroit News. The story provided an overview of the congregation, including its history and recent revival.
Here are a few highlights from the piece:
- The Downtown Synagogue formed in 1921 and has been at its current location in Downtown Detroit’s Capital Park neighborhood since the early 1960s. The striking
four-story building with multicolored windows is located at 1457 Griswold in Detroit.
- It is the only Jewish place of worship owned by a Jewish congregation in Detroit, and there are 300 member households. The synagogue began its resurgence about 10 years ago when a group of young people became involved and took on leadership roles. The congregation is now a fixture of Jewish life in Detroit, as more Jews have come to live and work in the city in recent years.
- A component of the synagogue's comeback is Rabbi Ariana Silverman, its first rabbi in
16 years. She was recently hired to tend to the congregation’s spiritual needs, as well as build relationships with churches in Detroit. At present, she is the only rabbi serving a synagogue in the City of Detroit.
For more information on the Downtown Synagogue, visit either its website or Facebook page.